When it comes to choosing which vacuum cleaner is best to buy for the home, you will have to determine not only its power - there are a number of additional parameters that determine the quality of its work and ease of use. First of all, it is the case of the device, which can be horizontal or vertical. Next, you need to determine the type of filter element - a dust collector, and also take into account such nuances as simplicity and cost of operation, how quickly and efficiently the cleaning is done. Particular attention should be paid to the environmental friendliness of the device - what part of the intake dust can get from it back into the room - this is especially important for allergy sufferers and in homes with young children.
These are the two main groups of devices, the difference between which is visible to the naked eye. The vertical ones are a cane, in the lower part of which a brush is fixed, and between it and the handle on the body there is a container for the collected dust. A standard or horizontal vacuum cleaner is essentially a cart on which the engine and the garbage container are located, and the dust brush is attached to a flexible hose, the other end of which is connected to the device body. Which vacuum cleaner is better to buy must be decided individually, because each of these designs has its own advantages and disadvantages that must be considered when choosing.
Vertical vacuum cleaner
The first thing you have to pay attention to is the weight of the device. Since all the details are concentrated on its body, it is significantly harder to hold in hands during cleaning. If this is an important point, then you need to look for models in which the center of gravity is lowered as much as possible down to the brush that slides along the floor. In wireless models that run on battery power, due to the design features, the engine and dust container are always located closer to the handle, so they seem harder to work with.
+ The advantages of vertical vacuum cleaners
- The dust collection brush is necessarily equipped with a turbo brush or an additional roller for collecting wool and hair from carpets.
- Wired models are often made with the possibility of "parking" in an upright position - so they take up less space during storage, and it is also convenient if you need to get distracted from cleaning for a minute.
- Structurally, such a vacuum cleaner can attach a large garbage bag.
- Cons of vertical vacuum cleaners
- In some cases, devices with the same power can be noisier than horizontal counterparts.
- Due to the greater weight, such vacuum cleaners are more difficult to use on “rough” terrain - rapids, stairs, etc.
- The length of the cord is often significantly shorter than that of the "big brothers" - in the case there is simply not enough space to reel it.
Most often, such vacuum cleaners are used as auxiliary to quickly collect crumbled crumbs or wool from the carpet, although some models have been successfully used as the main ones.
Ordinary vacuum cleaner
A familiar, reliable and efficient design, adapted by many generations of engineers to solve almost any tasks that may arise during the cleaning process. If necessary, equipped with a variety of nozzles for cleaning hard-to-reach spots, plus, there are models for wet cleaning.
+ Pluses of standard vacuum cleaners
- When working on weight, you only need to hold a flexible hose with a brush, which is an order of magnitude lighter than the entire vertical vacuum cleaner.
- It is better suited for cleaning inaccessible places, including those that are not on the floor.
- Structurally, they are more reliable than vertical ones.
- Despite the great power, the motors of such devices are a little quieter.
- Cons of standard vacuum cleaners
- When storing take up more space.
- If there is no additional configuration with a turbo brush, then the standard one can “skip” wool and hair.
- Some models are quite difficult to operate, especially for washing vacuums or equipped with an aquafilter.
Such models are the most common and adapted for proper cleaning of the premises.
Depending on the size of the rooms in which you plan to use a horizontal or vertical vacuum cleaner, you need to pay attention to the length of the power cord, which can be from 3 to 7-8 meters
All vacuum cleaners differ in the type of dust collector and are divided into three main categories:
1. Rag or paper bag. A classic dust collector whose operation is based on the fact that air freely passes through the fabric or pores of a certain type of paper, but there is no dust particle. The neck of the bag is positioned so that air enters from the flexible hose connected to the brush, and behind the fabric is an air pump and an electric motor. In the process of his work, a rarefied space is created behind the bag, where air with garbage is constantly sucked in, which is retained by the fabric.
2. Container Dust Collectors (Cyclone). The principle of operation is based on the difference in air pressure in the outer and inner sides of the vortex and the centrifugal force, which as a result “squeezes” debris particles and dust onto the walls of the container. Such devices can have one, two or several stages of air purification - only cyclone or combined with HEPA filters.
3. Container with aquafilter. A filter filled with water acts as a filter here. Air sucked through the brush with particles of debris and dust passes through a column of liquid, in which all the dirt is retained. The container itself is usually made of transparent plastic, for the convenience of controlling water pollution.
Each type of dust collector has its pros and cons, and to choose the best option, then we compare the vacuum cleaners equipped with them.
Simplicity and practicality of use
For this parameter, convenience is associated with the need to perform additional actions before and after cleaning.
Bags. To start work, it is enough to connect the vacuum cleaner to the mains and it is ready to work. This is one of the most unpretentious designs, and it is extremely rare to require additional actions, in the form of shaking out garbage from a dust collector. Even budget models are equipped with a debris bag filling sensor, which is triggered when it is already difficult for the air stream to pass through the fabric.
Container. After each cleaning, you need to shake out the garbage from the container - remove it from the vacuum cleaner and pour the contents into the garbage bag. At the next cleaning, the device is immediately ready for use. During operation, there is one minus - if for some reason the air intake is clogged, the vortex formed in the dust collector will come to naught and have to wait until it forms again or restart the vacuum cleaner. At the same time, there is a possibility that the next stage of filtration will immediately get a large amount of garbage, for which it is not designed, which will significantly accelerate its wear.
Aquafilter. Such a vacuum cleaner must be prepared for work in advance, and when wet cleaning using detergents is carried out, then in addition to water, an antifoam additive must be added to the tank. Otherwise, a large amount of foam may form in the tank.Some inconvenience makes it necessary to always maintain a strictly horizontal position of the vacuum cleaner and move it around the room very carefully so that water does not splash in the tank - otherwise the formation of strong splashes and leaks.
After cleaning, a vacuum cleaner with an aquafilter without fail requires washing, cleaning the filters and drying - otherwise, an unpleasant odor is inevitable. It is recommended to store the vacuum cleaner unassembled, which increases the amount of occupied space and the time to prepare it for work.
Since cyclones and vacuum cleaners with an avcafilter have certain drawbacks, some manufacturers make “dual-use” devices - which work not only with their dust collectors, but ordinary dust bags can also be installed in them.
Any vacuum cleaner draws in air, along with debris and dust particles. Another question is, what are the chances for small particles to jump back into the room along with the "exhaust" air stream, which is brought out, because each of the types of dust collectors can hold different dust particles in different ways.
Bags. In order for the vacuum cleaner to work efficiently, at the same time it is necessary that the pores of the bag are small enough to trap the dust, but at the same time they allow a powerful air flow. One bag is unable to cope with this task, therefore, such a vacuum cleaner always has additional filters - the final cleanliness of cleaning depends on the quality of their performance.
Container. From the design of such a vacuum cleaner it can be seen that two forces act simultaneously on dust particles - centrifugal and air flow. If the first of them copes with relatively heavy particles, then the second does not allow to filter out fluff and thread fluff qualitatively. Therefore, cyclone vacuum cleaners are always equipped with additional filtering elements, the quality of which must also be paid attention to when buying.
Aquafilter. A problem for such dust collectors is garbage whose particles are not wetted by water. This can be a water-repellent fabric, oily hair or hair, shavings or particles of plastic materials. As a result, such vacuum cleaners also need several cleaning stages, the final cleanliness of cleaning also depends on the quality of which.
As a result, the quality of cleaning of all vacuum cleaners, without exception, largely depends on fine filters. If the family has allergies or small children, then they should be paid attention to when buying.
Ecological and hygienic use
Usually the most unpleasant part of using a vacuum cleaner is the process of removing garbage that has accumulated during cleaning.
Bags. It all depends on the type of dust bag used - one or reusable. In the first case, no problems arise at all - the old bag is removed and thrown away with garbage, and a new one is installed in its place. However, it is advisable not to shake the old bag, since a sufficiently large amount of dust can spill out. If a reusable bag is used, then one must be prepared that shaking out debris and dust from it is a rather unpleasant procedure.
It should also be borne in mind that the bag is freed from dust about once every 1-2 months and during all this time the garbage remains inside the vacuum cleaner. This is already an excellent environment for all kinds of microorganisms, and if moisture suddenly enters there, the conditions for their development will become almost ideal.
Container. After cleaning, the dust container simply disconnects from the body of the vacuum cleaner, and the garbage is discarded. The whole procedure takes a maximum of a minute of time. If necessary, the container can be washed under running water, but usually there is no need for this.
The main problem of such vacuum cleaners is their high ability to accumulate static electricity due to the friction of air and dust on the dust collector body. If a person often “beats with static”, then from such a device you should constantly expect a dirty trick in the form of an electric spark when you touch the case.
If during the operation of the vacuum cleaner a whirlwind occurs and the debris clogs the fine filters, you will probably have to carry out an unscheduled cleaning, which in itself is quite dusty.
Aquafilter. The weakest point of this system is the additional filters. If the rest of the vacuum cleaners mainly pass dry air through them, then moisture is constantly present here, which also lingers. This creates excellent conditions for mold, fungi and bacteria and the next time you turn on the vacuum cleaner, the spores of these microorganisms will fall into the air and fly around the room.
The price of a vacuum cleaner and the cost of its use
The price range for all vacuum cleaners can be quite wide - from 30 to 1000 cu, but when you buy it, the cost of the device itself is at least one of the main, but not the decisive factor. Many models require additional investment during operation, so you need to pay attention to the availability of necessary consumables and their price.
Bags. If a reusable bag requires replacement only after its physical deterioration (for example, garbage with sharp edges can ruin it), then when using disposable bags, their cost should be budgeted as mandatory expenses in the amount of about 1 cu every 1-2 months.
Container. Although such a vacuum cleaner does not require replacing the dust bag, over time, fine filters, which in addition to cost about 20 - 200 oz, become worthless. e., far from always there is a free sale. If you cannot find such a filter, you will either have to tinker it manually, or purchase a new vacuum cleaner.
Aquafilter. In addition to the same problems with filters as with cyclone vacuum cleaners, here, in addition to the expense item, it is necessary to include the need to purchase antifoam additives, which are necessary when cleaning using detergents.
In fairness, it must be borne in mind that these shortcomings are mainly present in budget-friendly vacuum cleaners, with a unit price of up to 300 y. e. More expensive models, the price tag of which starts at 400 y. e. They can already be equipped with additional protection and almost eternal, washable additional filters, so the cost of their operation can be reduced to the amount of electricity consumed.
To understand what the difference between using all types of vacuum cleaners is actually, it is, of course, best to try them yourself, but to purchase all models of devices, just to find out which one is better, is impractical. In this case, reviews come to the rescue, which buyers leave on the forums - on their basis we formed a kind of rating for vacuum cleaners - reviews of the best models with various designs of cases and dust collectors.
- We have previously publishedreview of the best vacuum cleaners with aquafilters
The leaders in this category are the products of well-known German companies Miele, Thomas, Bosch and the Dutch brand Philips. Despite the similarity of characteristics, each of the vacuum cleaners has its own characteristics, making it the best for customers.
|Miele SGDA0||Thomas Crooser One LE||Bosch BGL35MOV40||Philips FC 8661|
|Suction power, W||220||200||450||425|
|Dust box volume, l||5||3,5||4||4|
|Noise level, dB||74||74||82||80|
|Auto winding cord|
|Power cord length, m||7||8||8,5||6|
Vacuum cleaner for dry cleaning. Equipped with 2000 Watt engine with speed control, nine-stage cleaning system. A bag with a capacity of 4.5 liters is used to collect garbage. The kit includes nozzles for cleaning various types of surfaces. The length of the power cord is 5.5 meters.
+ Pros of Miele SGDA0
- Speed adjustment allows you to use the vacuum cleaner in several modes of operation.
- High engine power, respectively, air intake.
- The cord length allows you to clean in fairly large rooms without switching to other outlets.
- A well-thought-out wheel size makes it easy to move the vacuum cleaner on various surfaces - tile, laminate, parquet.
- Nozzles are stored in the vacuum cleaner body - they are difficult to lose.
- Replacing bags is quite rare - about once a quarter.
- Cons Miele SGDA0
- Consumables, although inexpensive, but require regular replacement.
- The class of the device affects the price, which is an order of magnitude higher than budget counterparts.
- A large number of degrees of purification implies the same number of different filters that will require replacement over time.
Negative opinions about this vacuum cleaner are associated only with its cost - if this issue is not in the foreground, then the model can definitely be recommended for home use.
Thomas Crooser One LE
Horizontal vacuum cleaner for dry cleaning. Garbage is collected in a bag with a capacity of 3.5 liters, and thin air purification is carried out by a HEPA 13 filter. It is equipped with a 2000 Watt engine with a speed controller - designed for 5 operation modes. The length of the power cord is 8 meters.
+ Pros of Thomas Crooser One LE
- Low noise compared to budget models.
- The kit includes nozzles for different types of cleaning, including a furniture brush.
- High suction power - even when operating in economy mode.
- The HEPA filter "does not let out" any smells from the vacuum cleaner.
- The dimensions of the vacuum cleaner and the successful arrangement of the wheels determine the high maneuverability of the device and the ease of movement around the room.
- Cons Thomas Crooser One LE
- There are complaints about the quality of plastic - the vacuum cleaner itself and additional nozzles.
- Marked case of the device - dust is clearly visible on it and scratches quickly appear.
- The need for regular replacement of consumables.
In reviews, users recommend this model for home use, as a reliable and unpretentious device with wide functionality and good value for money.
Powerful horizontal type vacuum cleaner for dry cleaning. The power cord is 8.5 meters long, plus a flexible hose and telescopic tube for attaching the brush allow for comfortable cleaning within a radius of 10-11 meters from the outlet. The engine with a speed regulator and a maximum power consumption of 2200 watts, allows you to develop suction power up to 450 watts.
+ Pros of Bosch BGL35MOV40
- High suction power.
- At low engine speeds, the noise from its operation is significantly reduced.
- Compact and manoeuvrable. The rear wheels of large diameter make it easy to move the vacuum cleaner through the thresholds.
- The kit includes a turbo brush for cleaning carpets from wool, thread, hair and similar debris.
- Devices of this price category are manufactured in factories in Germany.
- Cons Bosch BGL35MOV40
- There is no way to choose a color - only yellow.
- Although the vacuum cleaner is equipped with additional nozzles, you will have to buy separately for furniture.
- Turbo brush makes the vacuum cleaner work louder.
- Power adjustment is not duplicated on the brush handle.
- There are no additional consumables in the configuration.
The shortcomings noted in the reviews are rather subjective - even those owners of this vacuum cleaner who left them are inclined to recommend this model for purchase.
Philips FC 8661
2100 watts of engine allow the vacuum cleaner to develop a suction power of 425 watts, and you can adjust it on the handle without bending to the vacuum cleaner itself. Garbage is collected in a large bag with a capacity of 4 liters, and 6 meters of the length of the power cord plus a tube and hose allow cleaning within a radius of 9 meters from the outlet.
+ Pros Philips FC 8661
- High suction power, even at minimum rpm.
- At low speeds, the noise level allows you to clean even in a room with a sleeping child.
- Capacious bags for collecting garbage.
- Duplication of control of engine power, turning it on and off to the brush handle makes it easy to change operating modes.
- Value for money.
- Cons Philips FC 8661
- The quality of the plastic housing is poor - the vacuum cleaner attracts a lot of dust.
- Despite the large rear wheels, the front is not designed in the most successful way, because of which maneuverability suffers somewhat. Often, the vacuum cleaner is difficult to roll back a little.
- The engine power control unit in the handle is too large and not always conveniently in the hand.
- No color choice.
All the characteristics of this vacuum cleaner are selected as if to find a middle ground between power, functionality and price, which, although far from the lowest on the market, will give odds to many analogues from competitors in this class.
It is necessary to choose the best cyclone type vacuum cleaner between brands from Germany and the Netherlands - these are products from Karcher and Philips, but LG equipment from a Korean manufacturer is also worthy of competition in this category.
|KARCHER WD 3 Premium||Philips FC 9713||LG VK75W01H|
|Dust collector||bag or cyclone filter||cyclone filter only||cyclone filter only|
|Suction power, W||200||390||380|
|The volume of the dust bag, l||14||3,5||1,5|
|The length of the power cord, m.||4||7||6|
|Turbo brush included|
|Automatic cord reeling|
|Noise level, dB||there is no data||78||80|
KARCHER WD 3 Premium
The main purpose of the vacuum cleaner is “dry” cleaning of rooms, and a cyclone filter or dust bag with a capacity of 17 liters can be used as a garbage container. The relatively small engine power, only 1000 watts, allows you to give out air suction power of 200 watts, which is enough for domestic needs.
+ Pros of KARCHER WD 3 Premium
- Reliability, which is repeatedly noted in user reviews - the vacuum cleaner is able to work long and successfully in various conditions.
- The design of the brush eliminates the possibility of “sticking” to it a carpet or other similar coating.
- Versatility - despite the class of a vacuum cleaner for “dry” cleaning, it also successfully copes with suctioning water.
- Easy to use - the vacuum cleaner does not have operating modes - it can only be turned on and off.
- There is a mode of blowing air.
- Cons KARCHER WD 3 Premium
- Due to the large size of the vacuum cleaner, the whole design seems flimsy, although users have not noted any breakdowns associated with this.
"Exhausted" air leaves the vacuum cleaner with a powerful stream - a consequence of the presence of the blow function.
- There is no mechanism for winding the cord - you have to fold it manually.
- Small radius of action - the length of the power cord is only 4 meters.
- Custom and expensive trash bags.
Universal workhorse for cleaning a private house or apartment. Also suitable for maintaining order in the garage or in the country.
Philips FC 9713
Vacuum cleaner with a cyclone filter for dry cleaning. The 1800-watt engine consumes up to 380 watts of suction power, which is enough to clean any type of flooring. A dust container of 3.5 liters is enough even for long-term cleaning.
+ Pros Philips FC 9713
- Washable HEPA filter - does not require periodic replacement.
High air suction power.
- Additional nozzles included. The TriActive brush is not inferior in its characteristics to turbo brushes for collecting wool and hair.
- A long power cord - 10 meters - allows cleaning with a minimum of switching between outlets.
- Compact size and good maneuverability - large wheels make it easy to move the vacuum cleaner through the thresholds.
- Cons Philips FC 9713
- The vacuum cleaner body accumulates static electricity during operation, so carefully remove the dust bag.
- Also, due to the static, fine dust sticks to the tank - it is advisable to rinse the container after each cleaning.
- The metal tube for the brush slightly increases its weight, which must be held in hands.
The majority of users rate this vacuum cleaner perfectly and recommend it for purchase as a powerful and reliable device for cleaning the house.
A horizontal type vacuum cleaner with a cyclone filter of increased capacity, which can accommodate 1.5 kg of dust. It is equipped with an engine with an energy consumption of 2000 watts, which develops air suction power up to 380 watts. A power cord 6 meters long allows cleaning without switching in rather large rooms.
+ Pros of LG VK75W01H
- The power of the device is sufficient for cleaning all types of floor coverings and long-pile carpets.
- Easy removal of the waste bin for cleaning.
- There is a power regulator with control on the body and handle - you can set the optimal operating mode during cleaning.
- The vacuum cleaner is easy to move around the room, and large-diameter wheels help you drag it through the rapids.
- Value for money distinguishes this vacuum cleaner from many competitors.
- Modern design.
- Cons LG VK75W01H
- A noisy vacuum cleaner, especially at maximum power, but if you need quiet operation, you can switch to low power mode.
- You need to get used to the location of the power regulator - it is easy to hook it during the cleaning process.
- It is advisable to rinse the filters before cleaning.
The vacuum cleaner is designed for home use and copes with its task flawlessly, especially since there is always the opportunity to turn on the minimum mode of operation, in which the sound from its operation will not annoy others.
The most widespread vacuum cleaners of this type are in the USA, but the best models for the European market are produced by local brands - the British Dyson, the French company Tefal and the German manufacturer Karcher.
|Dyson v6 fluffy||Tefal TY8813RH||KARCHER VC 5 Premium|
|Dust collector type||cyclone||cyclone||cyclone|
|Type of food||battery||battery||net|
|Power consumption||350||there is no data||500|
|Suction power, W||100||there is no data||there is no data|
|Dust box volume, l||0,42||0,5||0,2|
|Noise level, dB||86||80||77|
|Electric brush connection|
Dyson v6 fluffy
Vertical bagless and cordless vacuum cleaner with cyclone filter. Equipped with an engine with an energy consumption of 350 kW with a suction power of 100 watts. The dust container capacity of 0.42 liters is fully enough for all 20 minutes of continuous operation, for which the vacuum cleaner batteries are designed.
+ Pros of the Dyson V6 Fluffy
- Not tied to a power outlet - a charged battery lasts for 20 minutes of continuous operation, which is more than enough for cleaning.
- The wall mount allows you to store the vacuum cleaner in any convenient place, but with its dimensions, it takes up very little space.
- The swivel brush provides excellent maneuverability, and if you connect an electric brush, it will also collect wool, thread and hair in addition to dust.
- In addition to cleaning the filters, it does not require special care.
- Mobility and the availability of a variety of nozzles allow you to use this vacuum cleaner to clean the inside of the car.
- Cons Dyson V6 Fluffy
- If you do not meet the 20 minutes that the battery lasts for, then you will have to wait 4.5 hours to charge it.
- If you need to remove debris with large particles, then the capacity of the dust collector may not be enough.
- Unlike most horizontal cyclone vacuum cleaners, the Dyson V6 Fluffy is absolutely not suitable for collecting liquids, even in small quantities.
- For some customers, the cost of the device can make them look for competitors.
Despite the good characteristics, you should not consider this vacuum cleaner as a full replacement for the “big brothers” - after all, there is not enough power for this. This is an ideal auxiliary option, which is always at hand and at any time ready to work, if you need to quickly remove spilled crumbs and similar garbage.
Battery-powered cordless vacuum cleaner with cyclone filter for dry cleaning. Battery charging time - up to 10 hours, after which the vacuum cleaner can work completely autonomously for up to 35 minutes. To set the appropriate mode of operation, a power regulator is provided, and if necessary, clean the carpet with pile in the kit there is a turbo brush.
+ Pros of Tefal TY8813RH
- The power of the vacuum cleaner is enough for the tasks assigned to it - quick cleaning of scattered cookies on a hard surface or carpet.
- The cyclone filter is as simple as possible to operate - the contents of the flask are simply poured into the bin, and the container itself, if necessary, can simply be rinsed under running water.
- The battery allows the vacuum cleaner to work without interruption for half an hour at maximum power - this time is more than enough to even carry out a full cleaning.
- There is no need to replace consumables - fine filters are also sufficient to periodically rinse with water.
- The rotary brush allows you to get close even to hard-to-reach spots.
- Cons Tefal TY8813RH
- Constantly holding 3 kg of weight in hands during long-term cleaning for some users becomes somewhat burdensome.
- A long recharging time - 10 hours - if you empty the vacuum cleaner during a full-fledged cleaning, and then accidentally litter it, you will have to use a broom.
- In some cases, the capacity of the dust bag may not be sufficient.
If necessary, have an additional vacuum cleaner that will always be ready, in terms of price and quality, buying a Tefal TY8813RH will be the best solution.
KARCHER VC 5 Premium
Vertical vacuum cleaner for dry cleaning. Equipped with a 500 Watt engine, no power regulator and three-stage air purification system. The capacity of the dust collector is 0.2 liters, and is designed for short-term cleaning. The length of the power cord is 9 meters.
+ Pros of KARCHER VC 5 Premium
- The telescopic suction pipe allows you to adjust the vacuum cleaner for a person of any height.
- A maneuverable brush allows you to vacuum hard-to-reach places and has an original design without lint, to which threads, hairs or wool usually cling.
- Compact in storage - the telescopic tube is drawn into the vacuum cleaner and as a result, it takes up almost half the space than the standard horizontal model.
- Washable filters for cleaning the air leaving the vacuum cleaner.
- With relatively quiet operation, it has good suction power, the level of which is practically not inferior to horizontal models.
- Cons KARCHER VC 5 Premium
- The small size of the dust bag limits the operating time to the need to clean it.
- There is no automatic winding of the cord - you have to unwind and rewind it manually.
- The telescopic tube can fold when the brush moves forward along the carpet.
- After the telescopic tube is pushed apart, all the heavy parts of the vacuum cleaner are in the area of the handle and all this has to be kept on weight. Not critical for spot cleaning, but noticeable with prolonged use.
The size of the dust collector clearly indicates that, as conceived by the engineers, this vacuum cleaner should “be on the hook” so that it can quickly be brought into working position. If a lot of dust accumulates in the house, then it is better to consider it as an auxiliary option.